About Me

My photo
Most of you know that I came from a big family ~ 7 kids! No, we are not Catholic. Yes, we had the same parents. (Those are usually the two questions people ask when they hear "7 kids?".) Most of you also know that my mom was sick for years. I am the second oldest, so I did a lot of the care-taking of the younger kids. I learned to cook when I was 10. I remember the first thing I cooked with my dad was Tacos. I loved cooking. Then, there was the baking. I made all the desserts and the b-day cakes for everyone's b-day, including mine. And I loved it! Another thing I remember is my grandmother making the biggest dessert spreads ever at the holidays. She made sure that every person there (we are talking, like, 30+ people) had their favorite dessert. I remember visiting her when I was 20. We cooked & baked all week. I never felt as close to her until then. We had this bond now - baking! I learned so much from her. I think it fueled my love of baking ~ and cooking! Now, at the Holidays, I make sure to prepare everyone's favorite dessert, no matter how many attend. It just wouldn't be the Holiday's if you didn't have your favorite pie, cake, cookie or candies!!

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Sausage-Cream Cheese Bites & Bacon-topped French Toast Muffins


Tahoe Meals: Day 3, Breakfast

Ok - I've made this before...  This is my sister-in-law, Bonnie Brown's, famous "Sausage Cream Cheese Crescent Bake".  Actually, I don't know if she has a name for it.  We just always called it the "sausage cream cheese thingy".   Anyway, I call it "Sausage Croissant Bake", but now I make a bite-sized version.


For today's breakfast, I also made the French Toast Muffins (blogged last summer - got the original "French Toast Bake" recipe from my other sister-in-law, Melanie Shelley Brown), but this time, I sprinkled bacon on it first! I simply cut the bacon into little piece and fried it, then drained, cooled and sprinkled over the top before baking.  Sometimes, I mix it into the mixture, then sprinkle extra on top before baking.  (Don't laugh - I am trying to make the lighting work, so I have two pictures of the muffin & the "bites" below! Next summer - I think I'll focus on the photography!!  Maybe I'll take a class!)

Bacon-topped French Toast Muffin (outside lighting)

 
Bacon-topped French Toast Muffin (inside with flash)

Ingredients:
  • crescent dough (8)
  • Jimmy Dean's Maple Ground Sausage
  • cream cheese, 4 oz
  • mini muffin tin (I use a mini-mini muffin tin! It's smaller than the mini tin.)
  • maple syrup, 1 tbls
  • cooking spray
  • flour for dusting 
  • 1 tbls butter, melted
    Sausage - Cream Cheese Bites (outside lighting)
Sausage Cream Cheese Bites (inside with flash)


Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375*.
  2. Brown sausage over medium high heat.  Drain. Cool.
  3. Dust flour on your cutting board or counter top and roll out the crescent dough and press the perforated seams together. 
  4. Use a pizza cutter to cut dough into 24 equal squares. (I separated the 8 pieces into two, so I'm only working with 1/2 the roll at a time.)
  5. Spray your muffin tin with cooking spray.
  6. Place the dough squares into each section of the tin.
  7. Cut the cream cheese into equal parts (24 pieces) to place in the dough cup.
  8. Drizzle the syrup into the cooled the sausage and mix. 
  9. Sprinkle the sausage over the cream cheese.
  10. Pull the sides up over the top of the sausage to enclose the meat and cheese.
  11. Use pastry brush to coat the tops with butter.
  12. Bake at 375* for about 12-15 minutes.
  13. #6, #7. #9, #10
#11


No comments:

Post a Comment