About Me

My photo
Most of you know that I came from a big family ~ 7 kids! No, we are not Catholic. Yes, we had the same parents. (Those are usually the two questions people ask when they hear "7 kids?".) Most of you also know that my mom was sick for years. I am the second oldest, so I did a lot of the care-taking of the younger kids. I learned to cook when I was 10. I remember the first thing I cooked with my dad was Tacos. I loved cooking. Then, there was the baking. I made all the desserts and the b-day cakes for everyone's b-day, including mine. And I loved it! Another thing I remember is my grandmother making the biggest dessert spreads ever at the holidays. She made sure that every person there (we are talking, like, 30+ people) had their favorite dessert. I remember visiting her when I was 20. We cooked & baked all week. I never felt as close to her until then. We had this bond now - baking! I learned so much from her. I think it fueled my love of baking ~ and cooking! Now, at the Holidays, I make sure to prepare everyone's favorite dessert, no matter how many attend. It just wouldn't be the Holiday's if you didn't have your favorite pie, cake, cookie or candies!!

Friday, July 13, 2012

Monkey Bread & Breakfast Enchilada Casserole

Tahoe Meals: Day 6, Breakfast

This breakfast (at least the Monkey Bread) is dedicated to Debbie Bradley, from our church.  Debbie put together a mentoring program for our pre-teen & teen girls at the church.  Each girl that chose to participate received a "secret mentor" - a Godly woman from the church who would pray for her girl, send little notes of encouragement, give little gifts, etc.  After a couple months, Debbie and the girls put on a beautiful brunch for their mentors at the church.  Debbie prepared so much food!!  What a beautiful woman she is...  Debbie was one of the first women I connected to at this church - there was something so welcoming about her, so accepting, so loving. She is someone who I feel really understands me.  She has sat with me while I cried,  she's heard my whining, she knows my faults - yet loves me anyway! How fortunate both Emily and I are to have Debbie in our life!

One of the recipes that Debbie made for the brunch was Monkey Bread.  Emily was in HEAVEN...  but then again, she was eating one of her favorite things...  BISCUITS & SUGAR!!  We asked Debbie for the recipe so that we could fix it up here in Tahoe.  I have to admit, even for a non-sugar lover, I really enjoyed the Monkey Bread this morning.  And of course, as with so many other recipes, it's more about the memories that come flooding through that bring the most enjoyment from a dish.

From now on when I make Monkey Bread, I will remember the difference that Debbie Bradley made in my teenage daughters life in the spring of 2012...  Debbie took time out of her crazy, busy schedule to create and coordinate this amazing mentoring program, connecting our teens to beautiful mentors, and then, took a day out of her life to bring these girls together with their Mentors so that the girls could put a name to the face of these wonderful ladies who took time out of their lives, as well, to shower love on our girls!  What an amazing church we belong to!


Emily's slice :)
 Ingredients:
  • Refrigerator Biscuits (2 cans, 16 biscuits)
  • sugar, 1/2 cup
  • cinnamon, 1 tsp
  • butter, 3/4 cu. melted
  • brown sugar, 1 cup, packed
  • walnuts or pecans, optional
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350*.
  2. Spray fluted pan with cooking spray. (I only had an angel food cake pan - it worked!)
  3. Cut biscuits into quarters.
  4. Mix sugar and cinnamon in a large baggie.
  5. Put biscuits and shake well to coat.
  6. Arrange biscuits in prepared pan. (Layer nuts if using.)
  7. Combine butter and brown sugar, then pour over the the biscuits.
  8. Bake for 28 to 32 minutes.
  9. Cool slightly. Invert pan onto serving plate.
#5


#6 & #7










Deeee-lish!!!
Not sure anyone liked them!  :)

 Breakfast - Day 6





 The second dish was my breakfast enchilada casserole.  This dish is SOOOO good.  Sweet and savory this morning.  But this dish was my favorite!  This recipe was blogged last summer - look for Breakfast Enchilada Casserole if searching for it!


1 comment: