About Me

My photo
Most of you know that I came from a big family ~ 7 kids! No, we are not Catholic. Yes, we had the same parents. (Those are usually the two questions people ask when they hear "7 kids?".) Most of you also know that my mom was sick for years. I am the second oldest, so I did a lot of the care-taking of the younger kids. I learned to cook when I was 10. I remember the first thing I cooked with my dad was Tacos. I loved cooking. Then, there was the baking. I made all the desserts and the b-day cakes for everyone's b-day, including mine. And I loved it! Another thing I remember is my grandmother making the biggest dessert spreads ever at the holidays. She made sure that every person there (we are talking, like, 30+ people) had their favorite dessert. I remember visiting her when I was 20. We cooked & baked all week. I never felt as close to her until then. We had this bond now - baking! I learned so much from her. I think it fueled my love of baking ~ and cooking! Now, at the Holidays, I make sure to prepare everyone's favorite dessert, no matter how many attend. It just wouldn't be the Holiday's if you didn't have your favorite pie, cake, cookie or candies!!

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Breakfast Souffle

Tahoe Meals: Day 5, Breakfast

This recipe is compliments or our visitor this year.  Emily's friend, Polina, joined us and made breakfast for us (well, for Dione and I...  our kids are too picky.  They had the "zero nutritional value breakfast"...  recipe in separate post, but don't laugh.... It's silly and simply - but fun!)




Ingredients:
  • butter, 4 tbls
  • flour, 1/4 cup
  • milk, 1 cup
  • cheese, 1 cup
  • eggs, 4, separated (using both egg whites and yokes)
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375*.
  2. Melt butter in medium saucepan.  
  3. Add flour, mix.  
  4. Add milk and cook until thick, stirring occasionally.
  5. Lower heat to low and add cheese. Stir until melted.
  6. Separate egg whites from egg yokes, set whites aside.
  7. Add egg yokes to saucepan, stir and remove from heat.
  8. Beat egg whites until stiff, but not dry.
  9. Add egg whites into egg mixture and fold gently until combined.  Do not over-stir.
  10. Coat baking dish with cooking spray, add souffle (about 3/4 full to allow for rising). 
  11. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes.  Do not open oven door while baking.
  12. Serve immediately. You can add toppings: ham, cheese, salsa, etc.

This was a yummy dish.  I think I will try it and add small cubed ham and green chilies!  Looking forward to trying this dish at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment