About Me

My photo
Most of you know that I came from a big family ~ 7 kids! No, we are not Catholic. Yes, we had the same parents. (Those are usually the two questions people ask when they hear "7 kids?".) Most of you also know that my mom was sick for years. I am the second oldest, so I did a lot of the care-taking of the younger kids. I learned to cook when I was 10. I remember the first thing I cooked with my dad was Tacos. I loved cooking. Then, there was the baking. I made all the desserts and the b-day cakes for everyone's b-day, including mine. And I loved it! Another thing I remember is my grandmother making the biggest dessert spreads ever at the holidays. She made sure that every person there (we are talking, like, 30+ people) had their favorite dessert. I remember visiting her when I was 20. We cooked & baked all week. I never felt as close to her until then. We had this bond now - baking! I learned so much from her. I think it fueled my love of baking ~ and cooking! Now, at the Holidays, I make sure to prepare everyone's favorite dessert, no matter how many attend. It just wouldn't be the Holiday's if you didn't have your favorite pie, cake, cookie or candies!!

Monday, July 25, 2011

Lemon-Oatmeal Lacies

YUM!!

Ok, so I'm just getting into the whole lemon thing...  never really liked lemon.  However, lately, I've been making lemon desserts. (You will find some Creamy Lemon Crumb Squares in the blog later this week!)  And I love oatmeal anything.  So, I was searching for a "lacy" recipe, and found this one. However, it didn't have lemon in it, and it just HAD to have lemon! So I added lemon zest, and the Lacies were FANTASTIC!!

I'm up in Tahoe with Dione and the girls, (Amanda, Alyssa, Emily and Julian) for our annual trip, and I'm back into my cooking/baking marathon! (7 days, 21 meals & 7 desserts). This recipe was SOOO good, and the picture was just perfect...  I know I'm driving them crazy with my obsession with this picture, but isn't it BEAUTIFUL???   Trust me when I tell you that it tastes as good as it looks...sooooo YUMMY!   :)

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 cup quick oats
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • zest of one lemon


DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 325*.  Cover baking sheet with aluminum foil and coat with non-stick cooking spray.
2. In medium bowl, combine oats, flour, salt and baking powder.  In large bowl, cream sugar and butter until fluffy.
3. Add egg, vanilla and lemon zest. Blend well.
4. Mix in flour & oat mixture until just combined.
5. Drop small amount of dough by teaspoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheet, 2 1/2 inches apart. (Yes!! This is a very important step.  My first cookies came out as a "bar" because is all melted together as they were too close!)
6. Bake at 325* for 10 - 12 minutes, or until edges turn golden.
7. Move entire piece of aluminum to a cooling rack and let cool.  Once cool, peel cookies off gently with your fingers. (You can pull the aluminum away from the cookies.)  Be sure to re-spray bakng sheets with non-stick cooking spray between batches.
8. ENJOY!!!




Dessert ~ Monday, July 25th

No comments:

Post a Comment