About Me

My photo
Most of you know that I came from a big family ~ 7 kids! No, we are not Catholic. Yes, we had the same parents. (Those are usually the two questions people ask when they hear "7 kids?".) Most of you also know that my mom was sick for years. I am the second oldest, so I did a lot of the care-taking of the younger kids. I learned to cook when I was 10. I remember the first thing I cooked with my dad was Tacos. I loved cooking. Then, there was the baking. I made all the desserts and the b-day cakes for everyone's b-day, including mine. And I loved it! Another thing I remember is my grandmother making the biggest dessert spreads ever at the holidays. She made sure that every person there (we are talking, like, 30+ people) had their favorite dessert. I remember visiting her when I was 20. We cooked & baked all week. I never felt as close to her until then. We had this bond now - baking! I learned so much from her. I think it fueled my love of baking ~ and cooking! Now, at the Holidays, I make sure to prepare everyone's favorite dessert, no matter how many attend. It just wouldn't be the Holiday's if you didn't have your favorite pie, cake, cookie or candies!!

Friday, July 29, 2011

Breakfast Enchilada Casserole

Breakfast - Friday, July 29th

 Ok, this is already in the blog as Breakfast Enchiladas, but Dione keeps saying, "why don't you make a casserole out of it like you do the dinner dish".  I hadn't thought of that.  But I really wanted to make the "enchiladas", so I decided to make it the "normal" way...  until mid way through.  And I thought, she's right. Let's see what this is like as a casserole instead of individual servings.  The pictures are going to show that I coated the tortillas in the green enchilada sauce to make them more pliable in order make the traditional enchiladas. Normally, in making a casserole, I would cut the tortillas and then added the sauce to the whole mix. But you will get the idea!!  I will give the directions as it SHOULD have been done as a casserole.  BTW, this was SUPER YUMMY!!!


Ingredients

  • 1 (16 ounce) package frozen hash brown potatoes
  • 1 cup diced cooked ham
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 (4.5 ounce) can diced green chilies
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
  • 1 (28 ounce) can green chile enchilada sauce
  • 8 (10 inch) flour tortillas

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 375*
  2. Brown hash browns and ham in 1 tablespoon of oil in a skillet over medium high heat.
  3. Stir in diced green chilies and 1/2 cup of Cheddar cheese. Cook until cheese has melted. 
  4. Coat the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish with a small amount of enchilada sauce.
  5. Cut tortillas into small squares.
  6. Combine tortillas & ham mixture in a big bowl. Add enchilada sauce and mix well.
  7. Sprinkle with a little cheese and cover with tin foil.
  8. Bake, covered, for approximately 20 minutes. 
  9. Remove foil and bake for another 10 minutes, or until lightly browned on top. 
  10. Serve immediately. 











    No comments:

    Post a Comment