About Me

My photo
Most of you know that I came from a big family ~ 7 kids! No, we are not Catholic. Yes, we had the same parents. (Those are usually the two questions people ask when they hear "7 kids?".) Most of you also know that my mom was sick for years. I am the second oldest, so I did a lot of the care-taking of the younger kids. I learned to cook when I was 10. I remember the first thing I cooked with my dad was Tacos. I loved cooking. Then, there was the baking. I made all the desserts and the b-day cakes for everyone's b-day, including mine. And I loved it! Another thing I remember is my grandmother making the biggest dessert spreads ever at the holidays. She made sure that every person there (we are talking, like, 30+ people) had their favorite dessert. I remember visiting her when I was 20. We cooked & baked all week. I never felt as close to her until then. We had this bond now - baking! I learned so much from her. I think it fueled my love of baking ~ and cooking! Now, at the Holidays, I make sure to prepare everyone's favorite dessert, no matter how many attend. It just wouldn't be the Holiday's if you didn't have your favorite pie, cake, cookie or candies!!

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Millionaire's Shortbread ~ Thursday, Dessert

Millionaire's Shortbread
Ingredients:
Shortbread
2 cups flour
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup butter, room temperature
Topping
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup light brown sugar
3 tablespoons heavy cream
3 oz dark or milk chocolate

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350*
2. Spray baking dish lightly. (small cake pan)
3. Mix flour, cornstarch and sugar in large mixing bowl. Cut butter into flour mixture until you form tiny crumbs.4. Press mixture into baking dish.5. Bake shortbread for 20-25 minutes until pale golden in color.
6. When there is about 5 minutes left, combine syrup, butter and brown sugar in the saucepan and heat over medium-high heat until butter is melted.7. Boil for one minute.
8. Stir in heavy cream and cook for 30 more seconds.
9. Poor over the hot shortbread. Smooth evenly over shortbread. Allow to cool and set.10. Once bread is cooled, melt chocolate and drizzle spoonfuls over the set topping. 11. Chill until set. Cut into pieces and serve.


Credits: Latrice has made this at Hideout several times with the kids during Baking Club. It's a very easy recipe to make. Simple, yet delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment