About Me

My photo
Most of you know that I came from a big family ~ 7 kids! No, we are not Catholic. Yes, we had the same parents. (Those are usually the two questions people ask when they hear "7 kids?".) Most of you also know that my mom was sick for years. I am the second oldest, so I did a lot of the care-taking of the younger kids. I learned to cook when I was 10. I remember the first thing I cooked with my dad was Tacos. I loved cooking. Then, there was the baking. I made all the desserts and the b-day cakes for everyone's b-day, including mine. And I loved it! Another thing I remember is my grandmother making the biggest dessert spreads ever at the holidays. She made sure that every person there (we are talking, like, 30+ people) had their favorite dessert. I remember visiting her when I was 20. We cooked & baked all week. I never felt as close to her until then. We had this bond now - baking! I learned so much from her. I think it fueled my love of baking ~ and cooking! Now, at the Holidays, I make sure to prepare everyone's favorite dessert, no matter how many attend. It just wouldn't be the Holiday's if you didn't have your favorite pie, cake, cookie or candies!!

Monday, December 12, 2011

Salted Caramel Pots de Creme




Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cups granulated sugar (divided - 1/2 & 1/4)
  • a pinch of sea salt
  • 3/4 cup of heavy cream
  • 1/2 cup of whole milk
  • 4 egg yolks
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla
  • a squeeze of lemon juice
  • extra sea salt for sprinkling over pots de creme when it's finished
Directions:
  1. Caramelize the sugar...  (Good luck!  I had to do this twice, by looking at 4 different recipes - all of which said to do something different! But I will share what I did)
  2. Heat medium size heavy-bottom saucepan over medium heat.
  3. Add 1/2 cup sugar and a several drops of water - stir to mix.
  4. Continually watch this mixture, as it can burn very quickly. Stir until it caramelizes.
  5. The sugar will liquefy, bubble and eventually thicken.  Once the caramel turns a rich amber color, remove from the heat.
  6. Add the cream and whole milk, constantly stirring to combine. Return the pan to the heat and keep stirring until smooth.  (At first, the caramel may have some lumps, but they will eventually smooth out.) 
  7. Take the caramel off the heat and set aside to cool.
  8. Preheat oven to 300°F.
  9. In a mixing bowl, whisk together egg yolks, 1/4 cup sugar and vanilla until thick. 
  10. Slowly, whisk in the cooled caramel until fully incorporated.  
  11. Let the mixture sit still for a minute then skim off any foam that has developed on the surface.
  12. Fill ramekins with the custard mixture and place in a roasting pan. Fill the roasting pan with boiling water halfway up the ramekins.
  13. Cover with aluminum foil and pierce with holes.
  14. Carefully place in the oven and cook for 30—40 minutes.
  15. They are finished once they are wobbly in the center but completely firm to the touch.  Let sit 10 minutes covered.  Then, refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.
  16. Sprinkle finished pots de creme with additional sea salt right before serving.
#2 through #5
#6
     
     
     
     
     
     
#9
Yum!
     

No comments:

Post a Comment