About Me

My photo
Most of you know that I came from a big family ~ 7 kids! No, we are not Catholic. Yes, we had the same parents. (Those are usually the two questions people ask when they hear "7 kids?".) Most of you also know that my mom was sick for years. I am the second oldest, so I did a lot of the care-taking of the younger kids. I learned to cook when I was 10. I remember the first thing I cooked with my dad was Tacos. I loved cooking. Then, there was the baking. I made all the desserts and the b-day cakes for everyone's b-day, including mine. And I loved it! Another thing I remember is my grandmother making the biggest dessert spreads ever at the holidays. She made sure that every person there (we are talking, like, 30+ people) had their favorite dessert. I remember visiting her when I was 20. We cooked & baked all week. I never felt as close to her until then. We had this bond now - baking! I learned so much from her. I think it fueled my love of baking ~ and cooking! Now, at the Holidays, I make sure to prepare everyone's favorite dessert, no matter how many attend. It just wouldn't be the Holiday's if you didn't have your favorite pie, cake, cookie or candies!!

Monday, December 19, 2011

Carrot Soup

Half Recipe again!!  Most of my recipes will need to be doubled if you are making it for your family.  When I look for these recipes on the internet, I look at several recipes, then I take ingredients and instructions for the ones I like and create my own!!  This one called for dry white wine - which I do not have in my house - but I have LOTS of champagne, so... that is what I used!!



Ingredients:
  • 1/2 lb carrots in a bunch (small or medium in size)
  • 1/2 medium potato
  • 1 tbls butter
  • 1 small onion, peeled and sliced
  • 1 tbls minced garlic
  • 1/4 cup champagne
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • S&P to taste

Directions:
  1. Caramelize onion in butter - about 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally - in deep skillet.
  2. Peel carrots and trim off both ends.
  3. Cut into same-sized portions 1/2 to 1 inch thick.
  4. Cut potato into similar size pieces.
  5. Add carrots & garlic to onion mixture and cook about 5 minutes.
  6. Add champagne and cook for about 2-3 more minutes.
  7. Add about 1 1/2 cups chicken stock and potato.  Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Cover,  reduce heat and simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes or until carrots and potatoes are soft enough to pierce easily with a knife.
  8. Remove from heat and puree in batches in blender.
  9. Return pureed soup to the pot and bring to a simmer again, adding a little more stock to thin as desired.
  10. Season with S&P to taste.
  11. I took the other half of the potato and sliced it really thin, then fried the slices in a small amount of olive oil until slightly crispy and topped my soup with the potato "chip".
Step 5
Step 7

No comments:

Post a Comment